1. What are the pros & cons of joining as a student member to the AIPP & ACMP?
AIPP - Australian Institute of Professional Photographers
* The AIPP is a large community where people can network and learn from each other.
* Attend AIPP seminars and workshops at discounted prices.
* Access resouces including example business forms such as contracts and documents.
* Enter assessment awards to help you improve in your photography.
* Be offered discounted products and services from AIPP trade partners.
* Receive electronic copies of AIPP and industry specific publications and magazines.
* The membership fee is only $75 which I do not believe is expensive for the information you will receive from this site.
I don't see any cons with joining as a student member.
ACMP - Australian Commercial and Media Photographers
It offers a free subscription to Capture Magazine and monthly electronic newsletters with association and industry news.
A free copy of the 'Better Business Bible' is offered.
It provides you with documentation about the promotion of best practice.
Discounts are given on marketing software, VW car purchases, Adobe software, insurance for members, workshops & seminars and industry social events.
It also offers special subscription rates for magazines, Photoreview online and PDN.
As a student member, unlike the other some of the other memberships, you do not get access to certain parts of the site including access to videos of recent seminars and access to the member online forum.
It is also nearly double the price to join as a student as what it is to join the AIPP.
2. Who are PICA and PMA and what do they do for the photo imaging industry?
PICA (who is now known as IDEA Australia (Imaging & Digital Entertainment Association) and PMA are both national 'not for profit' organisations that help in the further development of the photo imaging community by obtaining new information on marketing and promoting new products, new technologies of the industry, educational programs, lobbying, marketing research, importing, publications, trade shows and distributing statistics.
Are they deemed an important part of our industry?
Yes these two organisations are important to the industry as they both promote the growth of the industry through information on new advances, educating its members and by helping to protect the industry by ensuring adequate legislation is in place.
What information can I get from them?
PICA (now IDEA Australia) offers:
* Industry links including organisations such as the AIPP, ACMP, Australian Photographic Society and the Australian Copyright Council.
* Research and statistics from previous years.
* Classifieds which include advertisements for jobs, equipment, studio / office space available and business opportunities.
* A calendar of events taking place throughout the year and direct links to the websites.
* A free newsletter offering weekly news and industry updates.
* A list of IDEA's national association of companies and a direct link to their websites including Canon, Nikon, AsukaBook and Yaffa media company to name a few.
* Links to previous media.
* Information on Code of Practice.
* Links to information for small business.
* Dates of conferences / exhibitions.